The Dolman family of Salisbury, Wiltshire
There is much conjecture as to the origin of the name "Dolman". The name is fairly common on the continent but there are also many records of the name predating the 16th Century in England.
This current research has shown rather an abundance of the name in the country, especially in the north midlands. Burton on Trent, Stafford and Arlewras consistently crop up in the GRO indexes for the 19th century.
Some reference books on surname meanings refer to the similarity between "dull" and the "dol" of Dolman but fail to reach consensus. Spelling variations include Dollman, Doleman or even Dolan. The descendants of one branch of the family in Maiden Bradley even change from Dolman to Doman and back again during successive generations and the literary standards of the times must be borne in mind when undertaking research.
The dictionary definition "a hussar's jacket" and "dolmen sleeves" may indicate a tailoring background but nothing of this nature has been discovered apart from the Dolmans of Newbury referred to later. Again, no connection here has yet been discovered.
Two major namesakes have been found recorded. One is the Reverend Dolman and his family from Pocklington Yorkshire. An extensive history may be found in genealogical biographies. No connection has been established.
The Dolman family of Newbury has been researched by others and the story begins in the 16th century. A prominent businessman, John Slammed bequeathed £10 to William Dolman who invested it in his own cloth weaving business, which on his death he left to his son Thomas. By 1557 Thomas had purchased a considerable amount of land and property including several manor houses. His eldest son John received a degree at Oxford in 1557 and became a barrister of the Inner Temple in 1571. Thomas died in 1575 and his will reveals considerable wealth. His second son Thomas kept the business going and in 1581 completed the building of Shaw House near Newbury. A coat of Arms was granted in 1587, and in 1588 he achieved the office of Sheriff of Berkshire and that of Justice of the Peace in 1598. Although a link here to the Dolmans of Wiltshire is far more likely, nobody has yet established it. Shaw House featured in the Civil War as a base for the Royalists and today is a private school
Contrary to earlier thinking, it now seems that the Dolman family existed in the Salisbury area as far back as at least 1640. A direct line has now been established to John Dolman of St Thomas’ parish, and there are earlier names in the area that have yet to be more fully investigated. Earlier links with the name in Maiden Bradley now appear to have been incorrect and have now been erased from this book. The following information is still sketchy and will hopefully be expanded as and when County Records and other resources can be examined.
John Dolman (1640) and Ann Fowler
In 1670 the Parish records of St Thomas in Salisbury record the birth of John Dolman as the son of John Dolman and Ann Fowler. John, the father is recorded as being born in 1640.
John Dolman (1670) and ??
In 1701 there is a recorded birth of Edward Dolman who had a son Edward in 1724.
Edward (1724) and Jane
Edward (1724) married Jane Moody on the 21st August 1744 at St Thomas’ church and they had six children.
Edward (1749) and Elizabeth
Edward, christened on the 17th October 1749, married Elizabeth about 1775 and son James born in 1779 was christened on December the 27th. At St Thomas’
James and Elizabeth Coombes
In 1800 James married Elizabeth Coombes in the parish church of Fisherton Anger Salisbury. For information regarding St Clements, click here. Further records are to be found here or in The Salisbury parishes of St Thomas, St Edmunds and St Martins or in the Primitive Methodist Church records. The marriage certificate states that they were both “of this parish” and although Elizabeth could only make her mark, James' signature is just about legible in the register. In 1803 James’ occupation was given as “labourer” and in that year the first of their seven children was born:
John (b.1812), it seems led quite a full life. According to research carried out by a descendant in Australia he was deported to Tasmania after conviction at Exeter Quarter Sessions in 1841. After recieving his ticket of release in 1847 he travelled to Melbourne where he met and married Margaret Preston, an emigrant from Dundee. In Australia, he built a hotel (making his own bricks in the process) in Whipstick and prospered. The Hotel has since been converted to a private dwelling and portraits of John and Margaret still hang in the dining room. A large current family of Dolmans and others are his direct descendants. Exchanges of research data have been of considerable interest to both parties.
George, born in 1819, and living in Salisbury in 1841, has not been traceable after that.
Sometime between 1819 and 1841 James (1779) died. His wife Elizabeth (Coombes) died in 1843, and by 1851 the only Salisbury resident Dolmans were James (1803) and his second wife Sarah Bennett, and his son James (1826 by his first wife Elizabeth Bennett), and their families.
Between 1869 and 1881 James, (1826), his wife Charlotte Futcher and their family had moved to Battersea in London. Later still they were to move again to the Shrewsbury-Stafford-Coventry area
James and Elizabeth Bennett and Sarah Bennett
James grew up in Salisbury and by 1826 was described as a bricklayer. In 1825 he married Elizabeth Bennett and they had two children, James 1826 and George 1828. In the 1841 Census they are shown as living in Back Lane Fisherton Salisbury. The whereabouts of Back Lane or the nearby Laurence’s Court has not yet been established. It may be that Back Lane became Water Lane, which runs from Fisherton Street to Crane Street. Elizabeth died on the fifth of October 1843, after a bout of chronic hepatitis, her burial records have not yet been found but she would have been buried either at St Thomas’ or at the since demolished Fisherton Anger church. James remarried on 24th December 1843 at the Fisherton Anger Primitive Methodist Chapel and was witnessed by John Wood and James’ sister Charlotte. The 1851 census shows that James and Sarah were living in the High St. Salisbury and he was a Master Bricklayer, employing seven men.
That Sarah's surname was also Bennett appears to be completely co-incidental and it has not yet been possible to show any connection between the two girls. Sarah was in fact the daughter of Henry, a hairdresser, and Sarah Bennett of Catherine Street Salisbury and was born in 1822.
James and Sarah had five children:
The 1851 Census reveals that James, the first son of James and Elizabeth Bennett was living just around the corner from the High Street in Crane St. having married Charlotte Futcher. His occupation was recorded as “Bricklayer”. Charlotte’s ancestors have been traced back as far as Thomas Futcher who was buried in 1729 and whose son, also Thomas was born in East Grimstead. James and Charlotte moved away from the area, first to Battersea in London and then to Walsall
James and Charlotte's children were
James and Louisa Jones-Green
James married Louisa on December 24th 1876 in Atcham Shrewsbury. Louisa had been born in 1859 in church Stretton Shropshire.
Their 13 children, all born in Atcham, were:-
George and Kate Edginton
George married Kate in 1867 and produced a family of thirteen. Kate was the fourth child of John and Catherine Gillingham. John was a Brass founder from London and Catherine was born in Finsbury. John and Catherine lived first in Penny Farthing Street (1848), and later, in 1851, in Brown Street employing two servants.
George and Kate lived with the family at 66 Salt Lane Salisbury. After George died aged 45 in 1892, Kate moved to 66 Winchester Street.
Sidney (1877) married Fanny Stidworthy in August 1908 in Salisbury. Sidney died at 45 years of age falling from a ladder whilst painting The Albion Public House in St Ann’s Street Salisbury. Fanny is the name she was given at registration but on the 1901 Census she is listed as Alice.
Fanny’s parents both came from Devon. Mary Williams (1847-1901), was born in Kingsbridge, and William, (1847-aft 1901), in South Pool. Of William and Marys nine children, Adelaide, Mary and Emma were born in Devon, William and Florence were born in Lewes, Sussex and Fanny, Winifred, Margaret and Kate in Salisbury. In 1901 the younger girls are all dressmakers and William Jr., a cabinetmaker.
William’s parents were Richard, born 1813 in Chilveston Devon, and Fanny Atwell.
John Stidworthy (b 1787) and Mary Tucker (b 1784) were Richards’s parents and John and Mary Cuming, his grandparents. Birth dates have not been established but they came from Devon.
There were five children:
After Alfred’s first wife, Cassie Sturgess died less than two months after they were married in 1901, Alfred married Annie Sanger, in 1906
Annie was the only daughter of James Sanger who was born in Salisbury in 1814. The 1881 Census gives his address as 14 Church Street and his occupation as a Poulterer. In 1891 he and Sophia, his wife were living at No 6 London Road. Sophia, was also born in Salisbury in 1814
Annie Sanger (Maria Mary) was born in 1867. On the 1881 Census she was listed as a teacher, aged 13!! By 1891, she was a dressmaker.
Alfred and Annie were married in the second quarter of 1906 and over the next seven years had three children. They lived in Ivy Lane, The Greencroft Salisbury.
The Bedford Connection
George Bedford, born in Stratford-sub-Castle in 1815 became a Nurseryman. In about 1835 he married Ann Futcher, from Andover. They lived, in 1871 at 11 Castle St in Salisbury
Alfred George Bedford was born in 1849 and married Elizabeth Smith from Wilton in 1871. They lived in the St Thomas’ ward and raised their family of five daughters, Amy, Kate, Amelia, Carry (sic) and Annie. Alfred, also a nurseryman, had a small greengrocery shop in Butcher Row which is featured in one of a set of watercolour pictures of Salisbury. It is probable that this is where Amy worked as a greengrocer’s assistant. Kate was, in 1891 a Florist’s assistant and Amelia, an under nurse.
James, born in 1870 married Amy Bedford in 1893. They lived at first at 59 Brown St. Salisbury and then at 26 St Ann's Street (1901) and later, at The Chalet, a bungalow in Britford Lane where they raised their five surviving children. Amy died early in 1946 and James later retired to live in Parkestone Dorset. He died in March 1956 and both are buried in East Harnham Churchyard
See 'Frederick and Ethel' below for the continuation of their family line.
The Witt family originated around the Breamore / Fordingbridge area where, in the mid 19th century the name was quite common. A generic line from Stephen and Rachel Witt born before 1700 comes down through four generations to the marriage of third cousins Charles Witt and Rhoda Witt in 1845.
Charles and Rhoda
Charles was born in Breamore in March 1803 and married 3rd cousin Rhoda, born S. Charford, Breamore. She was the daughter of Hannah Witt (1795). At present her father is unknown. They had at least one child; a son also named Charles also born in Breamore in 1846.
Charles Witt and Dinah
In 1869, Charles married Dinah Snell who was born in Southampton in 1840. They moved to Kingston on Thames where daughters Edith Rhoda and Emily Florence were born in 1871 and 1872. Sadly Dinah died only two years later in 1874. Charles’s occupation is given as ‘Travelling Porter’ and ‘Railway Guard’. They lived in Elm Grove, Kingston.
Charles and Martha King
Charles was remarried to Martha in 1875 and at the 1881 Census Charles, described as a farm bailiff was living with his in-laws at Glebe Farm (90+ acres) in Landford. As George and Ann King were 72 and 69 years old respectively, it would be reasonable to assume that they were retired and that Charles was running the farm. At this time Martha was living at Collins Farm Basildon Berkshire with children Edith Rhoda, Charles, George and Mary. Emily Florence was living with grandparents Charles and Rhoda. Their son William Albert was born February 23rd1883
George King’s parents were William King (1767) born in Landford and Mary Andrews also from Landford (c 1773) who he married on October 2nd 1794.
George married Ann Moody December 17th 1832 in Salisbury although Ann was born in Nomansland in 1812, the daughter of John Moody and Sarah King who were married on December 29th 1791.
William and Ethel
In 1904 William Albert married Ethel Clara Hale. Their Marriage Certificate shows that Ethel’s father was Henry Hale, a valet, and that Ethel was born in 1884. They were married in Warlingham parish church Surrey. William had become a stable man in the employ of Thomas and Helen Sherwood at The Downs, Roseberry Road Epsom, not a million miles from where Ethel was working at the Rose and Crown Coulsden (1901)
Ethel Clara’s history has been difficult to trace. The marriage certificate 1904, states that her father was Henry, a valet. Her age was given as 20. In 1881, a Henry Hale born in Fulham in 1856 was a Valet in service in Teddington as was a Caroline Yatts, bn in Dalston (Hackney) in 1864. In 1881, Henry Hale married Caroline Gotts in Hackney. It is my belief that Caroline Gotts and Caroline Yatts are the same person. In Dec 1883 an Ethel Hale was born in Edmonton. On the 1891 Census, a match was found for Ethel Clara age 6 and born in S Kensington living in Coulsden as a 'nurse child' with Philip and Prudence Honeywell. In 1901 Ethel Hale age 16, bn in Stoke Newington (Edmonton) was a servant at The Rose and Crown Godstone Rd in Coulsden. William at this time was working in stables on Epsom Downs not far away. (Research is ongoing)
In the following year, their daughter Ethel Rhoda was born. Their address given on the birth certificate of their first child, Ethel Rhoda was 5 Alexandra Avenue Warlingham.
William and Ethel had two other children; Dorothy was born in 1908, and in 1910, George who died in about 1930.
Being in service presented some difficulties for parents William and Ethel and Ethel Rhoda was brought up by her grandparents, Charles and Martha, who had moved to Hampreston in Dorset. In time, Ethel moved from Hampreston and entered service at a house in the Cathedral Close in Salisbury. It was here that she met and in 1929 married Frederick in the charming village church Saint Peters Britford which is tucked away from the main road between Salisbury and Downton. Situated almost on the banks of the River Avon it is of Saxon origin.
The family of five was raised in Hamilton Road and Fred worked with father James until WWII intervened. When Fred was called up for service in the Royal Engineers in the Far East, the firm was closed down until after the war when Fred built it up again from scratch. Today, grandson Paul runs the business keeping up a two hundred year old family trade.
Fred and Ethel had five children:
Last update January 2011
Webmaster Roger D